Passenger, caught 23/9/2006 (National moth night).

Mothing at St Margaret's

Most of the Moth lists and Photographs are from my garden (TR359450) in the village of St Margaret's at Cliffe in Kent. It is situated about 1Km from the sea and has farmland with in 100 metres. The garden is well shrubbed and about 1600 sq metres. I normally run a 125 MV lamp and a 15W actinic light over-night and once the season gets going a couple of other traps. At the moment both are 25W black Lamps. previously I used a 160W blended lamp in one of them. All traps are home made. Trapping dates refer to the date the trap was put out.

Trap Update in 2017. A new 125W MV Robinson was added to a 125W MV Skinner, 15W Actinic Skinner, two 80W MV Morris modified Skinners and a 80W MVMorris Box trap.
Traps are now (2020 onwards) 2x 125W Robinsons, 2x 80W Skinner type and 1x 15W Actinic strip light on a Skinner type .

I try and identify all the Macro Moths, with the micros I am not at all systematic, I do more than I used to with the help of the new book, but there are some that do get through.


Thursday, 1 October 2026

Species List for 30/09/2026

  Four traps, a 125W Robinson in the Back Garden, a 125W MV Robinson in the Pond Garden, a 15W Actinic in the Front Garden, and a 80W MV Skinner in the Greenhouse Garden. A 6-10 mph breeze, maily SE to SW, and a min temp of around 15 deg C. There were 219 moths of 36 species, with three NFY. There was also a very fresh Swallow-tailed Moth, the latest date I have had here, although I have had October records on the Isles of Scilly.

Code

Taxon

Vernacular

Individuals


28.024

Tachystola acroxantha


1


35.118

Scrobipalpa ocellatella

Beet Moth

2


41.003

Blastobasis lacticolella


1


49.030

Cacoecimorpha pronubana

Carnation Tortrix

1

nfy

49.039

Epiphyas postvittana

Light Brown Apple Moth

10


49.077

Acleris variegana

Garden Rose Tortrix

1


62.036

Acrobasis suavella


1


62.053

Ancylosis oblitella


1


63.031

Udea ferrugalis

Rusty-dot Pearl

7


63.048

Palpita vitrealis


4


63.052

Nomophila noctuella

Rush Veneer

6


63.054

Cydalima perspectalis

Box-tree Moth

7


63.069

Eudonia angustea


3


69.010

Macroglossum stellatarum

Humming-bird Hawk-moth

1


70.047

Nycterosea obstipata

Gem

1

nfy

70.097

Dysstroma truncata

Common Marbled Carpet

1


70.243

Ourapteryx sambucaria

Swallow-tailed Moth

1


72.017

Orgyia antiqua

Vapourer

1


72.041

Lithosia quadra

Four-spotted Footman

1


72.057

Pechipogo plumigeralis

Plumed Fan-foot

1


73.015

Autographa gamma

Silver Y

2


73.076

Helicoverpa armigera

Scarce Bordered Straw

2


73.087

Spodoptera exigua

Small Mottled Willow

74


73.093

Caradrina kadenii

Clancy's Rustic

3


73.099

Hoplodrina ambigua

Vine's Rustic

1


73.180

Tiliacea aurago

Barred Sallow

1


73.186

Agrochola lychnidis

Beaded Chestnut

7


73.193

Anchoscelis lunosa

Lunar Underwing

13


73.224

Griposia aprilina

Merveille du Jour

1

nfy

73.233

Aporophyla nigra

Black Rustic

2


73.235

Polymixis lichenea

Feathered Ranunculus

5


73.319

Agrotis segetum

Turnip Moth

6


73.325

Agrotis puta

Shuttle-shaped Dart

3


73.342

Noctua pronuba

Large Yellow Underwing

36


73.345

Noctua comes

Lesser Yellow Underwing

1


73.357

Xestia xanthographa

Square-spot Rustic

10


 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Total Pageviews

StatCounter