Passenger, caught 23/9/2006 (National moth night).

Mothing at St Margaret's

Most of the Moth lists and Photographs are from my garden (TR359450) in the village of St Margaret's at Cliffe in Kent. It is situated about 1Km from the sea and has farmland with in 100 metres. The garden is well shrubbed and about 1600 sq metres. I normally run a 125 MV lamp and a 15W actinic light over-night and once the season gets going a couple of other traps. At the moment both are 25W black Lamps. previously I used a 160W blended lamp in one of them. All traps are home made. Trapping dates refer to the date the trap was put out.

Trap Update in 2017. A new 125W MV Robinson was added to a 125W MV Skinner, 15W Actinic Skinner, two 80W MV Morris modified Skinners and a 80W MVMorris Box trap.
Traps are now (2020 onwards) 2x 125W Robinsons, 2x 80W Skinner type and 1x 15W Actinic strip light on a Skinner type .

I try and identify all the Macro Moths, with the micros I am not at all systematic, I do more than I used to with the help of the new book, but there are some that do get through.


Thursday, 8 October 2026

up date on 06/10/2026 at Mniotype species.

 I caught a puzzling Noctuid om 06/10/2026. With some help and research, I believe it is probably a Mniotype occidentalis. No English name as this would be the first UK record I know of. Obviously the ID is still tentative, but looking at "Noctuidae Europaeae Essential" it looks a very good match. Excuse the photo. The moth is in a pot as I am being careful not to loose it.

Obviously the moth has caused some interest and I have received helpful posts from several people. Steve Nash said, "Mniotype solieri (Bedrule Brocade) is perhaps more likely, given its recent spread north into Belgium. I don't think it can reliably separated on external features from M. occidentalis." 

This is a good point, although I had looked at several photographs and thought the  terminal border more like occidentalis than solieri. More photos showed that, in fact they can be very similar.

I did some more reading and research and was a bit surprised that the two species were only split in 2010,. and that the Bedrule Brocade was caught in 1976 long before the two species were recognised.  Againing reading about them it transpires that gen-det (even if it was done) is not straight forward and not always definitive, and that the only certain way of ID is DNA analysis. That means that without DNA analysis the Bedrule Brocade is in the either or category.

Hopefully, with the help of Sean Clancy, we will be able to arrange DNA Bar coding for a definite ID. 


No comments:

Post a Comment

Total Pageviews

StatCounter